University of South Carolina Upstate Director of Athletics
Job Title: Director of Athletics
Job Description: The University of South Carolina Upstate is a regional comprehensive public university in the University of South Carolina System, located in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Comprised of a diverse and dynamic community of about 6,000 students from 24 states and 17 countries, USC Upstate is a wonderful blend of traditional and nontraditional students who reflect the Upstate’s rich international character. USC Upstate offers a balance of strengths that, when added up, results in a learning experience that’s hard to match. The academic programs are accredited and highly ranked, with amazing research and internship opportunities for students.
Upstate’s athletic program fields 17 Division I intercollegiate teams (8 men’s and 9 women’s) and is comprised of more than 250 student-athletes. The Spartans, Upstates’ athletic teams, will compete in the Big South Conference in all sports beginning in the 2018-19 athletic year. Our student-athletes have an excellent track record of achievement both on-the-field and court and in-the-classroom. We are seeking a dynamic and proven athletics department professional to serve as its Director of Athletics.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead the Upstate Intercollegiate Athletics Program consistent with the university’s mission, vision and values and in line with the university’s current strategic plan.
- Ensure that all student-athletes are experiencing success academically and are integrated into campus-life and general college activities.
- Oversee and implement a proactive communications and marketing strategy, in conjunction with University efforts, for USC Upstate Athletics to raise awareness and affinity among constituent audiences.
- Ensure compliance with all NCAA and Big South rules and regulations, consistent with the high ethical standards of USC Upstate.
- Oversees the ongoing development of the donor based U-Club, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), the Athletics Advisory Board (AAB).
- Insist that athletic department personnel comply with institutional policies and maintain collegial relationships with the entire campus community.
- Consistently represent Upstate Athletics in a highly professional manner as a community ambassador to a wide range of internal and external constituencies; motivate coaches and other administrators to do the same.
- Maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish Upstate Athletic goals and objectives; oversee recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of staff.
- Continually evaluate athletics facilities and recommend improvements as needed.
- Responsibly administer annual budgets for Upstate Athletics and perform periodic cost and productivity analyses; monitor and evaluate programmatic and operational effectiveness and effect changes required for improvement of all athletics budgets.
- Plan and successfully achieve strategies for enhanced fundraising, generating additional revenues and resources in a manner that results in a high level of public and private support for Upstate Athletics.
The Director of Athletics should have strong interpersonal skills with an ability to deal effectively with all levels of students, faculty, administrators, and staff, as well as members of the Board of Trustees and constituencies in various community and professional organizations. While no one person will likely embody all of the professional qualifications, skills, experiences, and personal qualities desirable in this role, the ideal candidate will bring most of the following:
- Master’s degree in a related field and six years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities, or Bachelor’s degree in a related field and eight years’ experience related to the duties and responsibilities;
- Direct senior level (minimum of Associate level) experience with college athletics is essential with a preference for experience at a Division I institution;
- Must demonstrate a strong understanding of USC Upstate’s mission, vision and values;
- Proven commitment to diversity and inclusion with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Well-organized and have a strong acumen for financial and business analysis techniques, program planning skills, and the ability to develop and deliver highly professional presentations.
For preferential consideration please send cover letter and resume by April 20, 2018, including salary history to Russell Wright at email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of South Carolina Upstate is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity institution, committed to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. To fulfill this commitment the university does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities or decisions for qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetics or veteran status.